New for employees of the University of Cologne
- sciebo is a free non-profit cloud service for research and teaching.
- All employees are allocated 30GB of storage space (this can be increased if required).
- Data are stored and processed exclusively at three locations in North Rhine-Westphalia including Münster, Bonn and Duisburg-Essen). This means that data are subject to the strict level of protection provided by German data protection laws.
- With sciebo, users can synchronize files between end devices automatically.
- Access to files can also be granted by sharing links.
- sciebo can be used via a client or through the web interface.
- The service is jointly operated by 22 universities in NRW and funded by the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Synchronization: Files can be synchronized automatically across end devices (such as laptops, smart phones and tablets) using the client. Users can also access the files via a web browser from anywhere.
Example: synchronizing selected files between an office PC and a laptop at home.
- Sharing files: With sciebo, files and folders can be shared with other employees at the University of Cologne and external users. If authorized, external users can even upload files to a shared folder. A password and expiry date can be set for each share.
Example: sharing files between an institute and external organization in a project. See http://www.sciebo.de/anleitung/teilen.html for information on sharing.
Accounts: registration, validity, renewal and account name
You can find information on creating a sciebo account under registration. sciebo accounts are valid for 6 months following registration. After registration, you have six months to renew your account via my.sciebo. To log on to my.sciebo, use your employee account and not your sciebo account name.
The sciebo account-name is composed as follows:
employee firstname.lastname@example.org (Example: MMuster1(at)uni-koeln).
The sciebo account name is used for tthe sciebo web interface at https://uni-koeln.sciebo.de/ and for logging in via the client.
New: Guest accounts
Guest accounts have now been introduced in sciebo. These grant external users limited access to sciebo. We have put together some detailed information about guest accounts.
Information for sciebo users
- sciebo should only be use for sharing files and synchronizing non-confidential documents, as files are not encrypted on the sciebo servers.
- sciebo should not be used as permanent data storage or for backing up files. The online storage service SoFS and TSM provided by the RRZK for backups and archiving are more suitable for these requirements.
- Files are not backed up on sciebo. Older versions of files, which have been replaced by uploading newer versions are kept as long as space is available. After this point, older file versions are automatically deleted.
- Further information about data protection, security classification and data suitability/unsuitability for storage in sciebo can be found on the websites of the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster in a protection needs analysis
In addition to personal sciebo accounts, project boxes are also available for project file storage.
sciebo clients for Windows, Mac OS, Linux Android and iOS can be downloaded in the download-area. Information on using the client is available on the sciebo website: https://www.sciebo.de/anleitung/desktop.html
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the RRZK-Helpdesk
Phone: (0221) 470-89555