Features of the Online-Storage SoFS
In relation to storing of files on your own computer, the use of SoFS has numerous advantages:
- The cooperation on shared documents in working groups will be facilitated. This applies both to formal working groups (for example “all employees of the institute XY”) and informal working groups (for example 3 students who want to work on a presentation). Sending files via e-mail can be omitted.
- The data is managed on a professional storage system with implemented redundancy. Hence, they are as much as possible protected against hard disk defects, fire, loss, virus attacks, theft and the like.
- Access to data is possible from everywhere, worldwide. You need only an internet connection. Unlike an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, the use of SoFS makes it unnecessary to carry an external storage media with you (which can be lost easily).
- Accidentally deleted or overwritten files can be restored (within certain terms).
- The data is stored at the University of Cologne, not somewhere in the world with unclear data protection regulations.
- SoFS does not concern "webspace" where own web pages can be published.
- In SoFS, files can (additionally to your own use) be made available only to other members of the University of Cologne. The general public has no access.
Types of Storage-Areas
The use of SoFS distinguishes between 3 types of areas: private, public and SoFS-storage for institutes. These are designed for a different type of use.
The rough classification allows to distinguishes without any further settings between data...
- which only can be accessed by yourself
- you want to share with other users on the system
- which should be proccessed together in a fixed working group (a project)
SoFS saves also older versions of files automatically. There are different backup-intervalls.
First of all, a backup of the changed files (“snapshot”) is created during the usual office hours (every 4 hours: 8 am, 12 am, 4 pm and 8 pm). These backups will be overwritten each the next day.
Example: A file is not originally recoverable if it was created after 8pm and accidentally deleted or modified at 11.30 pm on the same day.
A file that is changed today at 7.30 am is backed up at 8 am. If you make further changes during the day, which later are seen as undesirable, you can recover the state of today 8 am until tomorrow 7.59 am.
Additionally there is a daily backup at midnight. These daily backups are canceled over the period of a week.
Example: a file, created on a Tuesday, is accidentally changed on the following Thursday. The desired version, which was backed up the night from Wednesday to Thursday, can be recovered up to a week later.
The backups, which are created in the night from Sunday to Monday, are saved much longer. 30 backups of these are created. Thus, you can access on the older versions up to 29 weeks (more than a half year)- but only with a granularity of one week.
Example: The 5th of May 2014 was a Monday. In October, you can still restore old versions of a file which was modifies in may, but only with the state of 5.5. , 12.5. , 19.5. , 26.5...
The access to these saved versions of files is (as a comfortable way) only possible with Windows.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the RRZK-Helpdesk
Phone: (0221) 470-89555