SoFS – Free Online-Storage
SoFS, the free online storage, is available for students and employees of the University of Cologne. Each user gets 10 GB online storage free of charge.
With SoFS you can store files on a powerful server and manage them in folders. This folders can be used for groupwork, namely everywhere you have access to the internet. The basic functions of SoFS are available on virtually any web-enabled device.
Furthermore, older versions of files are stored in SoFS. In a case of emergency (file accidentally deleted or overwritten), this data can easily be restored. Thus, SoFS is an alternative to storing important data on your PC.
Even without an application you have two personal domains:
- A private domain: \\sofs1.uni-koeln.de\[accountname]
Here only you can read and write.
- A public domain: \\sofs1.uni-koeln.de\public\[Fist letter of the accountname]\[accountname]
This is standardly readable for everybody at the university. Here, you can lock subdirectories for others or release it individually by assignment of permissions.
network path: \\sofs1.uni-koeln.de\public\m\mmuster2
You will be prompted to enter a username and password. Put the suffix "AD \" in front of the username of your student or employee-account.
Facilities can apply for a SoFS-domain which can be used for projects. These are accessible via browser for example:
- https://sofsdav.uni-koeln.de/projects/[Name des SoFS-Bereichs]
- oder https://sofsdav.uni-koeln.de/[Name des SoFS-Bereichs]
- You will be prompted to enter a username and password. Put the suffix "AD \" in front of the username of your student or employee-account.
An entire use is only possible under Windows. The essential functions are also available with an access about Mac OS X. Access from other operating systems is not recommended. However, a reading access is possible by web browser.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the RRZK-Helpdesk
Phone: (0221) 470-89555