Wi-Fi access via UniKoeln-WEB
UniKoeln-WEB allows an easy access to a Wi-Fi network at the University of Cologne. There is no need to install any software, the only requirement is a web browser with enabled Java.
Caution: The connection to the Wi-Fi station (except for the registration) is unencrypted and can easyly be traced or manipulated with special programs. Many websites with sensitive data (like banks or webmail-services) use HTTPS-connections for their security, which create secure channels between the website and your computer, but those can be manipulated as well. Please pay attention to security allerts from your web browser and reports about broken or defective certificates. Please do not ignore such errors since this might be an attempt to redirect your request to another server to steal your data.
Connecting to the network
Regardless of the operating system used, you must first connect to the Unikoeln-WEB Wi-Fi network by selecting this network in your Wi-Fi manager.
- The UniKoeln-WEB network is designed as a makeshift solution to get access the university network, when you are not able to user another network.
- For regular access to the university network it is recommended that you configure access to eduroam for an encrypted connection.
- Guests with a conference account may use the encrypted network Conference@University of Cologne instead.
- For UniKoeln-WEB, we recommend to connect directly via the configuration interface of windows and not via any third-party tools.
- Open a browser and connect to any web site.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the RRZK-Helpdesk